Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Past In The Present

You know how certain songs can trigger some hidden memories? The melody of a song transports you to a time, a mood, a thought... a memory. Guess what. So can books.

I was at the local book rental store, and I walked passed these shelves of books. The Sweet Valley franchise. Sweet Valley Twins, Sweet Valley High, Sweet Valley Kids... I read them all (well, almost). I remember waiting for the latest book in the series to read. It was a commodity- my classmates and I would trade with each other's different 'episodes'. So anyway, I was thumbing through these books with unrealistic plots which were fun to read, and the ridiculously huge fonts just hit me! Omigosh, they were printed in font...14? Now, that's what I call light reading!

They brought back fond memories of my primary school days. How my friends and I would talk about Elizabeth and Jessica Wakefield and their fictitious lives. It was fun. Pre-teen/teen books nowadays are a bit too... thrashy for my liking. But then again, times have changed. The books we have now merely reflect our current teen situation. Not so wholesome anymore, unfortunately.

The Sweet Valley series has been discontinued. Well, there are only so many escapades a pair of blonde twins could get into, I suppose. But thank you for creating this world of Sweet Valley, Ms. Francine Pascal. The fans had a good time. :)

Speaking of the past, I met up with my two of my ex-schoolmates. I must admit that keeping in touch isn't my strongest point. So far, I've only successfully kept in touch with a handful of people. But you know what? Even after years of not seeing each other, things weren't awkward at all. How cool is that? I'm glad that the friendship stood the test of time, and it made me realise that I should put in more effort in keeping in touch. Especially since I'll be leaving soon.

Flashbacks from the past are becoming more frequent. The most random memories would appear at the weirdest moments. Random memories of my A-Levels days, and the Phase I reminiscences... I think it could be my subconscious trying to preserve my memories of here before leaving. I cannot think of other explanation.

Better to reconcile with the past first before heading to the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home