Saturday, August 14, 2004

Just Breathe

“Another day, just believe/ Another day, just breathe.” – Breathe by Telepopmusik (I really like this one—great chill out music.)

“If I just breathe/ Let it fill the space in between (alveoli?)/ I'll know everything is alright.” – Breathe by Michelle Branch.

“'Cause I can feel you breathe/It's washing over me/ Suddenly I'm melting into you.” (I wonder what brand of breath mints he used) Breathe by Faith Hill.

“I’m alright, I’m alright/ It only hurts when I breathe.” -- Breathe by Melissa Etheridge.

“Take my breath away...” – Take My Breath Away by Berlin.

“Is there anyone out there cause it's getting harder and harder to breathe.” (somebody call an ambulance, please) Harder to Breathe by Maroon 5.

“I... can't breathe easy/Can't sleep at night (PND? Orthopnoea? You better see a doctor soon.)/ Till you're by my side (is she a doctor?)”Breathe Easy by Blue.

As you can see, there are many songs written about respiration. These are only but a few examples. We just started Respiratory System (RS), btw.

Often we take for granted our ability to breathe effortlessly. Except those who are asthmatic or suffering from respiratory illnesses. Which is probably why smokers smoke. But I never really believed in smoking due to these reasons:

1. I am a vainpot. Smoking stains your teeth yellow. Yucks.
2. Smoker’s breath is so stinky. I don’t wanna make myself puke, now do I?
3. Cigarettes don’t come cheap. I rather spend my money on CDs.
4. There are healthier alternatives for stimulus out there such as coffee, or in my case, pain. (the bruises sustained during Futsal prove to be useful. I’ll just press on it or give it a good massage... instant alertness. Magical. )

And of course, the whole ‘I-don’t-wanna-die-of-lung-cancer’ thing.

After studying a week of RS, I’m quite amazed by the whole mechanism of breathing. Since it’s automatic, we don’t really think much of it, but now I realise that it takes many aspects of our human body for us to obtain the precious oxygen for our bodies. And now I am even more upset—why would anyone want to deliberately abuse their bodies by smoking? I mean, we have been blessed with a healthy set of lungs and airway system... knowingly destroying them isn’t much of a sign of gratitude, now is it? Nicotine is addictive, I agree. But there’s also this thing called ‘will power’ and ‘discipline.’ Most smokers ‘cannot’ quit smoking simply because they don’t really want to. How disappointing. And those innocent people inhaling 2nd-hand smoke have increased risk of lung cancer. Sigh.

One week and already there’s a lot of work. Stuff to read, mainly. As for my practical skills, my percussion technique is okay :) but my technique to measure chest wall expansion was a bit out. I see my friends doing it correctly but somehow I just couldn’t imitate them properly. You know-lah, I’m a bit slow. ;P

“You have to press!”
Press. Still wrong.
“No, press like this!” (then proceeded to demo)
Press. STILL wrong.
After attempt #827839 (haha, I’m exaggerating, but it sure felt like that), one of them finally said the magic word.
“No, you have to press UPWARDS.”

Bingo! And I finally got the technique right. Why-lah never say that earlier?!?!? I was pressing and pressing against the chest wall itself. :P Anyway, I feel so grateful that I have such kind and helpful and patient friends to help me learn and improve. Special thanks to The Housemates, Mulan and especially The BFG for being such an obliging ‘patient.’

So much to read, so little time. I feel a bit overwhelmed by RS already and it’s only been 6 days so far. I am trying to take things easier; taking it one day at a time. Life’s too short. There are far more important things in life than studying and doing well in exams alone (although, getting an A does feel really good ;P). Time feels like it’s slipping out of my grasp. I guess it’s time to take control of my time.

What am I to do?

Just breathe-lah. ;)


2 Comments:
At 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot one more, dear Doctor. It's "I can't breathe, I can't sleep until you're resting here with me.." 'Here with me' by Dido. What's your diagnosis?

Ciao,
Adlina

 
At 2:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

breathe keep breathing/ dont loose your nerve/ breathe keep brreathing/ i cant do this alone
- Exit Music (For A Film) by Radiohead

This chilling song keeps me brreathing. Coffee also stains your teeth yellow. But let's face it, smoking is so cool. Watch a Wong Kar Wai movie and you'll see my point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home