Sunday, February 13, 2005

I Just Wanna Fly

Put your arms around me, baby
Put your arms around me, baby *

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.

There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying.

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Pick a nice day, it suggests, and try it.

The first part is easy.

All it requires is simply the ability to throw yourself forward with all your weight, and the willingness not to mind that it's going to hurt.

That is, it's going to hurt if you fail to miss the ground.

Most people fail to miss the ground, and if they are really trying properly, the likelihood is that they will fail to miss it fairly hard.

Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties."

- Douglas Adams, Life, The Universe and Everything

My favourite ride in Genting Theme Park is that spinning top thingy. It goes round and round with swings attached to its edge at high speed. At the initial lift off, it was a bit dizzying, but that gave way to a rush of endorphins. It feels great to be high up in the air at high speed. There was a feeling of weightlessness and for that 2 minutes, my so-called worries were left behind with gravity. With the cold air streaming through my face (which had a goofy grin plastered on it), I wished the ride would last longer.

I also went parasailing once and the experience was awesome. Getting the bird's eye view on the sea and the islands was breathtaking. This one felt more like flying as I was truly high up in the sky. Would love to do it again.

There isn't much opportunity to go 'flying' in any way in a housing area, though.

Maybe I should procure some weed. Heheh. Heheheh. Shi Ching!!! Some help here, please!

:P

But getting high is never a solution.

*Fly by Sugar Ray feat. Supercat

2 Comments:
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Rajinder said...

I hope you didn't try to follow the Guide and threw yourself on the ground in the hopes that you'd miss it.
:P

Just stick to flying kites, ok?
:P
:D

 
At 2:59 AM, Blogger Rajinder said...

Hey, there's a new Hitchhiker's Guide trailer on Amazon.com. Check out my blog for the direct link.
:D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home