Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Once Upon A Time

“Since there exist in this four dimensional structure [space-time] no longer any sections which represent "now" objectively, the concepts of happening and becoming are indeed not completely suspended, but yet complicated. It appears therefore more natural to think of physical reality as a four dimensional existence, instead of, as hitherto, the evolution of a three dimensional existence.” – Albert Einstein

(And here is the part where I go, “Heh?” Which is why I am studying to become a doctor, not an astrophysicist. :P )

I read a letter the other day. It was an interesting letter. It was lying in my drawer, forgotten. It was written by my 15-year-old self, addressed to the 21-year-old YK.

She (YK of ’98) asked me (YK of ’04) how I am, asking how being a 21-year-old is like. Is it how she expected it to be? She wrote about her present situation then. It was so surreal reading it.

In a span of 6 years, many things had taken place. Many things have changed. I was such a budak then. :P

Questions...
1. Have you ever imagined yesterday that today would be today? That the events of yesterday would somehow, in its weird, unexpected and unpredictable way, lead to today?
2. If you compare now with a(n) year / week / day / hour ago, what would you discover have changed?
3. Are you happy with those changes? What have you learned from them? How had they affect your life?
4. All your past experiences, good and bad... how do you perceive them now? What are their significance to you now?
5. How do you perceive life now?

Time is a very interesting concept. Einstein said that time IS, that it cannot be divided into parts, like the way we conveniently label events as in the Past, Present or Future. He brought up the idea of ‘space-continuum’ in his General Theory of Relativity which gave rise to the possibility of time-traveling. I could only grasp that much of it—the rest I’ll leave for geniuses to ponder upon.

However, I do know that with time, people grow and people learn. That life goes on and wounds do heal. That shitty incidences may actually be blessings in disguise. All it takes is time.

Anyway, I took 3 days off of not studying AT ALL despite knowing that my GI Assessment is on next Monday, just taking time off. It felt as though I went on a 3-week vacation. :) I guess my present concept of time is quite warped. :P

So what am I going to do with the time in my hands now?

Study. (It’s about time! ;P)

Parting quote:
"...the world was made, not in time, but simultaneously with time. For that which is made in time is made both after and before some time - after that which is past, before that which is future. But none could then be past, for there was no creature, by whose movements its duration could be measured. But simultaneously with time the world was made." – St. Augustine

Parting question:

Are you happy with today?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home