Sunday, October 23, 2005

Against The Odds

So far this year, every significant drama/event that happened to me, it happened against the odds. What was expected to happen, whatever which had greater probability of happening statistically... did not happen. So when it comes to the Partner Medical School (PMS) Matching result, the same rule should apply. But not in the way I thought it would work.

My first choice was a long shot. The university ranks the students according to academic achievements alone. My results are good, but not outstanding. Plus, the class's top students were competing for the places as well. But maybe... just maybe... I might get a place. You know, against the odds? :P

Choice number two was a safer bet. Nobody ranked it first. And among those who ranked it second, I felt that I was more competitive (as compared to the long shot 1st choice).

The other universities ranked from #3 onwards did not seem likely as a lot of people have ranked them 1st or 2nd, and they have competitive grades as well.

So, mathematically speaking, I should get uni #2.

"God, I really have no idea where I'm going. But wherever I get, please help me be happy with it and accept the path You have chosen for me." (the night before the matching results were out.)

Result:

I got into uni #3.

When I first saw the words, I was afraid. I was very afraid. Because TR wanted to go there so badly. She ranked it 1st and was dreaming about the place since A-Levels. If I had taken a seat away from her... *shudder*

But it turns out that it was God's plan that we were supposed to go there together and I couldn't ask for a better future house/roommate there. :)

The other two housemates are going to attend the same unis as well. How uncanny is that?!!?

My thoughts on the uni itself:
Well, my top three choices were deliberately chosen for their happy, cheerful environment and lifestyle. The best part about uni #3 is that I get to save money on winter clothing (very important as I almost froze to death in Genting) and thus, have more money for travelling! Yay! And the more I think about it, the more I realise that I was actually meant to go to there. :)

It's gonna be painful, separating with my best friends, each on opposite ends of the Earth and the Equator. But it's okay 'cos we'll be friends forever. :)

What my experiences this year have thought me is that the next WEEK can be very unpredictable, let alone next year. But I'm hopeful and optimistic. And one can never go wrong with that.

Against the odds, eh? ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home